View of the church from M.C. Road side
Mor Ignatius church at Vadakkadathukavu, situated near to the Adoor town in M.C. Road side, was established in the year 1930. The former Metropolitan of the Kottayam and its southern dioceses H.G. Michael Mor Divanasios, consecrated this church on 15th May 1930. Six decades later on 7th March 1994, his successor, Metropolitan Mor Koorilos Kuriakose Poothiyott laid the foundation stone for the reconstruction of this church. On 20th December 1995 the renovated church was consecrated by the former Catholicos of the East, Aboon Mor Baselios Paulos II of blessed memory.
The 'Michael Mor Dionysius' Dayro, which is the headquarters of the Kollam diocese, is situated adjacent to this church. The sacred tomb of Msabrono Nasiho Mor Koorilos Kuriakose Poothiyott, the former Metropolitan of the diocese is in this Dayro chapel.
Detailed history of the church
Rift between H.H. Moran Mor Ignatius Abded Aloho II, Patriarch of Antioch and all the East and the then Malankara Metropolitan Mor Geevarghese Dionysius Vattasseril which divided the Malankara church community into two factions had its repercussions in the Adoor Kannamcode St. Thomas Syrian church also. Rev. Fr. Arapurayil Geevarghese Kassisso, one of the vicars of the St. Thomas Syrian church took the side of the Patriarch and in course of time it became difficult for him to officiate Holy Qurbano at the church. In 1927 Rev. Fr. Michael Alummoottil of Kayamkulam was consecrated as Michael Mor Dionysius Metropolitan in charge of the southern dioceses of the Church. Consecration of Miachel Mor Dionysius Metropolitan gave a new life to the followers of the Patriarch faction in these dioceses.
Rev. Fr. Arapurayil Geevarghese Kassisso and his followers decided to construct a new church, to preserve the true faith and traditions of the Syrian Orthodox Church of Antioch. Mycologist M.K. Varghese Arapurayil, an influential government officer offered his land for construction of a Church and he applied to the Kollam Collector for permission which was readily granted. The church construction was completed and on May 10, 1930, the church was consecrated by H.G. Michael Mor Dionysius Metropolitan in the name of Mor Ignatius Noorono. In 1932 Arapurayil Geevarghese Chacko allowed to use a Chapel built in 1896 and the adjacent land to be used as a cemetery for the church. Administration of the church which was vested with the members of the Arapurayil family was handed over to the congregation in 1958. In 1969 and 1971 Arapurayil Geevarghese Chacko and Mycologist M.K. Varghese Arapurayil transferred the property consisting of Mor Aphrem Chapel and the cemetery and the church and the adjacent church building to the congregation. In 1985 the church formulated its own bylaws for the day to day administration and presently the administration of the church is carried out by a committee elected by the general body of the church subject to the Jacobite Syrian Christian Constitution of 2002.
Renovation of the church was undertaken in 1994, blessed by H.G. Kuriakose Mor Coorilose and the renovated church was consecrated by H.B. Aboon Mor Baselios Paulos II, Catholicos of the East, assisted by H.G. Geevarghese Mor Gregorios Metropolitan. Main Altar of the Church is dedicated in the name of Mor Ignatius Noorono and the side altars in the names of St. Mary, the mother of God and St. George.
Church celebrated its Platinum Jubilee in 2006 and in commemoration of the same a new building was constructed which was consecrated by H.G. Mor Milethios Yohanan Metropolitan and H.G. Mor Theodosius Mathews Metropolitan. Church has also two shrines of cross.
Michael Mor Dionysius Metropolitan used to stay in the church for long periods and under His Grace’ leadership the adjacent building of the church was used as a seminary for two years in which seven deacons who studied there later became prominent priests of the Jacobite Syrian Church. After the demise of Michael Mor Dionysius Metropolitan, Paulose Mor Philexinos Metropolitan (1958-64), Kadavil Paulose Mor Athanasius Metropolitan, Kuriakose Mor Coorilose Metropolitan, Geevarghese Mor Gregorioe Perumpilly, Thomas Mor Dionysius, Thomas Mor Themothios, Markose Mor Coorilose, Yuhonnon Mor Milthios were the diocesan Metropolitans. Presently as Metropolitan of Kollam Diocese, His Grace Mathews Mor Thedosius administers the church.
After the demise of Rev. Fr. Arapurayil Geevarghese Kassisso in 1939, Rev. Fr. M.S. Philipose Kassisso (later M.S. Philipose Ramban) was appointed as the vicar of the church, who served the church for 40 years. Rev. Fr. Geevarghese Blaheth a member of the Church is serving the Church as one of the Vicars of the church since 1984. Very Rev. Fr. T.C. Alexander Cor-episcopa, the former General Secretary of the Evangelistic Association of the East, was also a member of this church. Present vicar of the church is Very Rev. Fr. Stephen Abraham Cor-episcopa. .
Adjacent to the Church is Michael Mor Dionysius Dayra in which the mortal remains of Kuriakose Mor Coorilose Metropolitan is entombed and the ‘Michael Mor Dionysius Memorial I.T.C.’ members of the Church had played a pro-active role in building of these institutions.
The church which is in the 79th year of its existence always stood in the forefront to protect the true faith and traditions of the Syrian Orthodox Church of Antioch. The church has a strength of 150 families. The spiritual organizations like Sunday school, Youth Association, Martha Mariam Vanitha Samajam, Prayer group etc. all work in close harmony for the over all spiritual growth of the community.
Former vicars of the church late Very.Rev Philipose Remban, Rev. Fr. Arapurayil Geevarghese Kassisso (d. 1939) ,
& M.K. Varghese Arapurayil, founder of the church
Tombs of Very Rev. Philipose Ramban, Mavilethu & Rev. Fr. Geevarghese Arappurayil at the Adoor Church
Stones depicting the foundation of the church in 1930 by H.G. Michael Mor Dionysius and its
consecration after reconstruction in 1995 by H.B. Catholicos MorBaselios Paulose II
Another view of the church
Mor Ignatius Jacobite Syrian Church
Vadakkadathucavu P.O Adoor
Phone No: +91 473 4225460
Article by Mr. George Zacharia Arapurayil
Photos by: Jerrin Joseph, Adoor